Thursday, July 06, 2006

A few bullet points.

It's been a little while since I posted anything on here so I guess I'll give a brief rundown on what's been going on in the past week or two. Join me, won't you?


  • Monica and I saw Superman last night. The movie was pretty good, both from a story and action standpoint, although I did start to fall asleep towards the end. I've gotta say, that new dude made a pretty solid Superman. The rest of the cast? Well...um...the guy that played Jimmy Olson gave me a few laughs. But Parker Posey and Kal Penn, what the fuck?! Hope you guys got a nice paycheck...


  • Went to a pretty fun little BBQ on the 4th. I didn't drink that much and no real veggie food to speak of, but damned if we didn't get to shoot off a hell of a lot of fireworks. Thanks Chris!


  • Finally finished up Call of Duty 2 on the hardest possible mode. It took about 3 weeks of plugging away but I finally liberated France from those "dirty Kraut bastards." Now what the hell am I gonna do?


  • Got through the first season of Prison Break in about a week. Not nearly as good as its Monday night follow-up (the still impressive 24) but with a pretty decent gimmick (the clues unfold from the main character's full body tattoos) and some fantastic casting (Peter Stormare, John Heard, and Stacy Keach to name a few...as well several excellent unknowns) I'll make sure I'm around for the Fall season.


  • Speaking of shows I'm looking forward to next season, if the rest of Supernatural is as good as the episodes I'm watching now, I'm going to have to add it to my ever increasing DVR queue. The way it deftly juggles mystery, humor, and genuinely scary horror, honestly reminds me way more of Buffy than the X-Files (the show I've heard it most often compared to,) a compliment which I do not give out lightly. Plus, I love the fact that the source music for the show is based pretty strictly in one of the character's old rock casette collections and hits on Sabbath, Rush, Metallica, Van Halen and pretty much any other awesome rock band from the 70s or 80s, which is a gimmick I can 100% get behind.


  • Item: I need a hair cut. All of them, actually...


  • So, I've been reading a bunch of awesome comics lately and I would recommend looking into any, or all, of them. They are as follows: Ultra: Seven Days (miniseries,) Fables, The Walking Dead, and Runaways. When I'm finally caught up on all of those, I think I'm going to finally borrow Monica's League of Extrordinary Gentlemen books. I've been really meaning to check those out for some time now, even though I've just about had it with Alan Moore and his particular brand of bullshit.


  • After about 2 years of searching in vain, I was able to score a LP copy of Les Savy Fav's The Cat and the Cobra on ebay. I bid far too much on it, but since I haven't seen it pop up on the internet in over a year, I was not going to let it get away. I sincerely hope it makes it to me safe and sound so that I can finally mark that one off the list.


  • Finally, I made pretty much my first successful spike last night in volleyball. I think I'm actually getting better which, to me, is pretty exciting.



That pretty much wraps things up, I suppose. I don't exactly know how to tell if people read these since nobody ever comments but yeah, with any luck, someone out there gives a shit...

3 comments:

Jon said...

Ah, Parker Posey was great! We need more flippant pseudo-flapper waifs like Kitty on the big screen.

Now that Lois Lane, however... that was like the diet cherry vanilla version of Lois Lane. I want the real deal.

Anonymous said...

i care, goddammit!

still haven't seen superman.

and get a haircut, ya damn hippie.

Monica said...

I'll have to start watching the Dean Squared show once I finish my nail-biting obsession with Lost ... and oh yeah, that 1st spike in vball was pretty impressive. You should start working on your battle cries for the next spike ...