Tuesday, January 16, 2007

...and the rest (AKA: fuggit!)

So, I had all these lofty ambitions of how I'd do an individual post for each of the top 10 games of '06 and each one was going to have a homemade picture and blah blah but fact remains, I have a life and if I've got an option of writing about video game or actually playing said games, well...guess which one I'm gonna chose. So yeah, here ya go...don't spend it all in one place:

My top 10 video games for the year 2006:

10. Dead Rising

9. Lego Star Wars II

8. Guitar Hero II (Red Octane for Playstation 2)
Better songs, better co-op, and Suicidal Tendencies! The only thing that sucks about this game is that it didn't make it to the 360 in time for '07. All the PS2 version's goods + hi-def, DLC, 5.1, and Achievements. It's gonna give a whole new meaning to March Madness...

7. Okami (Clover Studios for Playstation 2)
The only good thing that came out of my originial 360 breaking down, is that I got a chance to play this game. Easily the most original Zelda clone ever and a last breath in a dying generation. It hurts me to think that the company that made this is now defunct. Let's hope those developers continue on to push the boundaries of what can be done in this industry, rather than just being willing to crank out clones of sequels of roster updates of shitty licensed games. *sigh...*

6. Rainbow Six: Vegas (Ubisoft Montreal for 360)
Gadgets, guns, and gambling! A match made in heaven. This game that finally made me appreciate the much-loved R6 franchise. Come for the cover system, stay for the 4 player co-op.

5. Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Activision for Multiple Platforms, played on the 360)
Sure it's buggy as hell, but drop-in/drop-out co-op and a huge 24 character roster makes it a Marvel geek's wet dream come true. It's clobberin' time!

4. The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Nintendo for Wii)
It made it to #4 based purely on potential, and the fact that I needed to justify spending $300 just to play it. Considering the rate I've been slogging through it, I'll probably end up beating it some time around June so, more about it then...

3. Wii Sports (Nintendo for Wii)
A shallow experience for hardcore gamers, but by far the most fun game out on the system. I think Nintendo really nailed the "casual gamer" demographic they were aiming for with this one. The proof is the fact that my mom will call me up and ask me when she'll be able to play Tennis again which, as far as I'm concerned, is a much more compelling reason to own the Wii than Zelda is. Plus, bowling with Big Lebowski Miis is an experience to behold...

2. Gears of War (Epic Games for 360)
A. The best looking game you've ever seen. No, really.
B. Co-op throughout the entire campaign.
C. Hella fun 4 on 4 team deathmatch.
D. Your main character is voiced by John "Bender" DiMaggio.
E. You'll never forget the first time you chainsaw a motherfucker in half. And yeah, it's still just as fun the 100th time you do it.
F. The only reason it's not number 1 on my list is that it's not...

1. Viva Pinata (Rare for 360)
Yeah, I said it. For fans of Sim City, RTSs, Pokemon, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder...Rare presents an incredibly deep game with brilliant art direction, clever achievements, and mad legs. The reason this hits number 1 is due to the fact that I'll probably be playing this loooong after some of the others on this list are collecting dust on a Gamestop shelf. Check the sales and pick this one up when it hits $30, you'll be glad you did.

P.S. If your friends are laughing at you for playing this, then they're not really your friends, are they? Viva!

1 comment:

Monica said...

I need to see you & Jess's gardens to evaluate who is THE Viva Pinata King.