Monday, August 07, 2006

Webnotes and such for August 7, 2006...and stuff.


  • Wait...intelligent discourse revolving around Sony's entrance into the whole next-gen console wars that doesn't completely break down into wild fanboy speculation and rabid name calling?! Yeah, I didn't believe it either...


  • No more words and/or guitar? Sigh...Here's a link to the full MP3 version of Sleater-Kinney's last DC show ever. Thanks, Matt...and yeah, I cried a little too. (Incidentally, I still have some amazing pictures somewhere that I shot of a 9:30 SK show from, I wanna say, The Hot Rock tour. I really should try and dig those out...)


  • In honor of next week's 2nd Season premiere of Showtime's Weeds, I decided to see what their official site had to offer. Turns out, there's a slew of (*shudder* there's that word again!) Podcasts up there, featuring the cast and creators. I've yet to listen to them but I assume they should be at least as informative/interesting as the commentary tracks on the Season 1 DVDs. At the very least, there's probably no screaming babies or idiot stoners in the recording studio this time around...


  • Though Sunday's ads have told me otherwise, I prefer to hold to the belief that Capcom's Xbox 360 ode to the lighter side of the zombie holocaust Dead Rising, is actually going to ship on its ship date (which happens to be tomorrow.) After playing the demo last night, I absolutely need to get my hands on that game as soon as humanly possible.

    While most of the game seems to be focused on squishing, bludgeoning, decapitating, and coming up with other new and clever ways to help shuffle the walking dead off this (im)mortal coil, I personally am far more interested in the whole photojournalistic aspect of the game. See, your character in the game is a photographer who gets choppered into an undead-infested shopping mall in the hopes of scoring himself the scoop of a lifetime. Since you're there first and foremost to get some amazing pictures, I'm curious to see how they plan on handling that part of the gameplay.

    Sure, I'm prepared to risk my (virtual) neck to capture that perfect "holy-Jesus-I-know-I'm-about-to-get-my-fucking-face-bitten-off-but-I'll-be-damned-if-that's-not-a-great-fucking-shot!" shot, but the real question remains: can I do anything with these pictures once they're taken? In the demo version, I noticed that you can save individual shots to an "album" of sorts, but honestly, that's just not enough. With any luck, Capcom will take a note from the 360 version of Burnout: Revenge and let you upload them to some kind of server and share them with your friends. If not, I think I might just have to figure out a way to do it my damn self, because there's just too much potential situational comedy in this whole premise to just let it go to waste.

No comments: