Monday, June 19, 2006

Current Obsession Countdown: #3

3. Preacher (Vertigo Comics):



An ass-kickin' Texan preacher possessing the Word of God along with his on-again-off-again gunslinger girlfriend and an alcoholic Irish vampire, travels the world searching for the Lord. That, coupled with the promise of unbelievable amounts of violence, profanity, nudity, blasphemy, etc. makes this hands-down one of the best comics ever. I can't remember the last time I read through these (my first college girlfriend got me into them back in '96 or so) but they're just as good, if not better, the second and third time around. I can only hope that if they make a TV series of this, they can do the books justice. But at a scant 70 or so issue run, they'll hopefully have plenty of time to nail down the appropriate tone. It's not gonna be easy, but if they include the right people in the creative process, it could end up being one of the most amazing things ever produced for the small screen. Of course, that's only if they can get Sam Elliott to play the Saint of Killers. A man can dream, can't he?


P.S. Look at this crazy-ass picture of some dude made up as Arseface I stumbled across. It was on some Italian site but I'm pretty sure it was a makeup test for the movie they were talking about shooting a little while back. If that doesn't get me droolin' for the idea of a TV series...well, actually, i guess the drool is probably just the power of suggestion, it being "Uhhfehh" and all...

No comments: