Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Obsessions (a list in 5 parts)

5. Rockstar's Table Tennis (Xbox 360):





Not only is this the perfect way to deflect the general public's image of Rockstar Games (Publisher of Manhunt and the Grand Theft Auto series) as purveyors of smut and mindless violence, but as far as games go, it is just about perfect (not to mention a hell of a lot more fun to play than GTA.)

Since Launch, I wouldn't exactly call the amount of new 360 games "scant" but the fact that they don't come out at the rate of say, PS2 games do, 360 owners tend to pay attention to what's coming down the road. I've got to admit, when first I read about Table Tennis a few months ago, I thought it was one of the dumbest fucking ideas I'd ever heard. I mean, if even Mario and company hadn't been able to make me want to play video tennis, why in god's name would I ever want to play video ping pong? Let me just say, I was very, very wrong. Everything is so solid, from the graphics that are so realistic that you can actually see the players sweating when the game heats up, to the minute-to-learn-lifetime-to-master control scheme, to the ability to spectate on highly ranked matches over Live. No, this is not your father's Pong (or mine, for that matter,) and aside from being an intensely fun gaming experience it's also the perfect snapshot of just how far gaming has come in the last 30 years.


1975



2006



Notice any differences?

No comments: