Friday, June 16, 2006

Obsession countdown: #4

The Starlight Mints - Drowaton:



I can't remember the last time I went to a show. Two months ago? Three? A lot of bands I like have come through here recently...so many, in fact, that I can't even remember who they were. This is kind of unbelievable to me since, for as long as I've known, I've tried to see pretty much every show I could stomach but I guess, as a lot of people do, I've mellowed out in my old age (that's a nice, cliched way of saying I'm now officially fucking boring. Great.) So when I found out these guys were playing in Baltimore, I decided that I was going to prove to myself that I don't 100% suck by making sure I was there. Unfortunately, that no-suck policy only covered me since I ended up having to fly solo, after everyone either straight out bailed on me or just didn't bother to call me back. Thankfully, I got there late enough that I only had to spend the 15 minute or so set change standing around by myself looking like the loser scene grandpa that I am. But whatever, once the Rhino Stomp kicked in, all my apprehension and self-consciousness took off down the fire escape (whatever the fuck that means) and were replaced by the reverence of sheer indie rock awesomeness. Hell, I'm grinnin' just thinking about it 5 days later.

Oh, right, I got sidetracked. Anyway, I guess the whole point of this was that you should go out and buy Drowaton like, right now. I mean it. As good as this band was before (that first song of of The Dream that Stuff is Made Of, is just about as fun as album openers get,) this is the one that should make them huge. I mean, the volume of applause for the new songs vs. the old songs was like 2:1. And rightfully so. This is a fantastic piece of head-noddin', hip-shakin', sing-along rock right here, and if you don't run out and buy this album right away, then the terrorists have already won. Now if only it was out on vinyl...

2 comments:

Monica said...

Haha Loser Scene Grandpa! Is that like Beauty School Drop-out? Whatever, you know staying in and watching movies totally rules. ;)

Jon said...

Talk about a show I wish I'd made it to. At least I made staying home worth it, but next time they're around definitely count me in.

I agree that Drowaton's a great fun album. "The Seventeen Devils" is my fav at the moment.